kolmapäev, 15. juuni 2011

“A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.” John A. Shedd

Safety – what does it even mean? Am I safe when I don’t have to be afraid of anything? Do I want to be fearless? Do I want to know that everything I do is right? Don’t  I want to take any risks?

Of course I want to take risks, I want to feel fear sometimes. The world would be worthless without any danger and without  butterflIies in my stomack when I’m performing in front of  people or talking to the boy I like.

Of course, living nowadays’ complicated life we all would like to be more protected. Danger walks beside us, when we stroll in the streets. It strokes us to holidays. It floats beside of us,  when we are driving the car. The danger can be even in the person, who lives in our hometown. Luckily we don’t have so much time to think this way, it could be such a mess, if we all woud be afraid of every step we take. But sometimes we have to spectulate about how fragile our lives are and how easily we can pick up a really serious disease or get into a terrible accident.

Very rough damages can do to us our own world. Natural forces have destroyed so many lives, homes and towns. After the earthquake, people are like confused small ants, whose anthill has been destroied by reckless schoolboys.

Fortunately, Estoina is a quite peaceful country and living in here doesn’t bring any worries about vulcans, tsunamis or tornados.

The biggest trouble can be caused by people themselves. We have befouled our planet and wasted its natural resources, without thinking of any consequences, for a really long time. It makes living in here to us and to our descendants  much harder and harder every day.

Aslo, there are people, who are in wrong tracks, walking around the world and lurk for us at dark corners. Some of them are just small bums and some are very dangerous criminals. Some of them are looking like burglars and we realize immediately, who they are. But some of them are just like us and it’s hard to understand whom we are dealing with. 

About reconizing the burglars I have the story to tell. Last weekend I woke up at night, at three o’clock, becuse of flashing lights. I live almost in the forest next to the church and when I looked out from my window I saw a battery lamp in front of the church’s door and some shadows around it. Then came my mum and we realized that someone is trying to break in to the church, like some years ago. We called the police and told, what we saw. Police came very quickly and when they started to catch the criminals it came out that these weren’t burglars, these were extreme bicyclists, who had a night orienteering. Now it is very funny to think about that night, and I’m really thankful that we haven’t got any guns at home, because I think my mum,  independent and tough woman as she is, would have gone out to threaten or warn those „burglars“ with it.

Maybe so much stealing and vandalism make us see bad things even there, where it is everything all right.

Feeling  frightened and protected, dangered and safe, nervous and calm shows that we are humans, who have different emotions. Hazard and safety make our lives colourful, give the meaning of life and make it treasured.

Fasten your seatbelts!

Anette XI kl

Kommentaare ei ole:

Postita kommentaar